Saturday 5 August 2017

Sweet Little Lies by Caz Frear Book Review



BLURB

WHAT I THOUGHT I KNEW.

In 1998 Maryanne Doyle disappeared and Dad knew something about it?
Maryanne Doyle was never seen again.

WHAT I ACTUALLY KNOW.

In 1998, Dad lied about knowing Maryanne Doyle.
Alice Lapaine has been found strangled near Dad's pub.
Dad was in the local area for both Maryanne Doyle's disappearance and Alice Lapaine's murder - FACT CONNECTION?

Trust cuts both ways...what do you do when it's gone? 


MY THOUGHTS


Sweet Little Lies is the debut novel by Caz Frear and it was the winner of the Richard and Judy Search for a Bestseller competition. I can certainly see why the book won. Frear’s prose is sharp, witty and absorbing, a stunning debut, I’m hoping we’ll hear more from Cat Kinsella soon.

When the body of a young woman is found in Lemington Square, Detective Constable Cat Kinsella has no idea the trouble it’ll rake up for her. In 1998, when Cat was living in Northern Ireland, a young woman disappeared, now she has been found nearly twenty years later, murdered. But what is more concerning for Cat, is what has this young woman’s disappearance and murder got to do with her father? Is her father a suspect? Could he be responsible for her death?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I loved Cat’s voice and her sense of humour; she had me laughing out loud throughout the book, which is what made this book feel so fresh. I love a crime novel that can make me laugh.

The killer hook for this novel is that you don’t expect your father to become a suspect in a murder investigation nearly twenty years after a woman disappeared. Caz has created a gripping story line; I enjoyed learning about Cat’s relationship with her father, there is a lot of tension in their relationship and they have some rocky moments throughout the book which made for some gripping reading. 

I was surprised by the direction which Caz took us after the body of the young woman was found. The novel is tightly plotted and I really liked how everything slotted into place, I didn't see that ending coming.  

Caz has created a cast of exciting new characters in crime fiction and Caz is an exciting new voice; I can’t wait to see what she does next.

Publisher: Zaffre

Publication date: 29th June 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment